Whilst the housing market has taken a real battering in Australia over the past few years (even the construction companies in Brisbane have felt the pinch), it looks like the industry is set for a slow, but healthy recovery. So much so, that the Financial Review recently announced that “house prices in Brisbane could surge as much as 20% over the next three years…”.
This means that Brisbane’s median house price could rise from $552,000 in 2019 to $665,000 in 2022. With the outlook so good for Brisbane’s residential market, it’s a great time to build your dream home or renovate your current home. The problem for homeowners however, is how to safely navigate their way through all the construction companies in Brisbane to find the one that suits their needs.
What do you need from construction companies in Brisbane?
A good construction company will manage everything for you, from organising supplies and materials to hiring and firing trades people, organising required permits, and working with designers and architects; they will, essentially, act as both builders and project managers.
Here are seven tips that should help you find the right construction company for your build.
- Ask for recommendations: It’s likely that someone in your network of friends, relatives, neighbours and work colleagues has hired a builder in the past two or three years. So ask around your network for their recommendations. This is one of the best ways to find a reliable construction company, because if people you trust have found them to be good value, they should definitely be on your short list.
- Search online: Perform a Google search with the keywords ‘construction companies Brisbane’ and add a few more names to your list. Once you have about five or six construction companies on your list, move onto the next step.
- Check their websites: Look for a professional website that clearly explains who they are and what they do. You want a construction company that regularly performs the type of construction you require and has a good reputation. Read testimonials on their website and check for reviews on other websites.
- Ask for references: Speaking to past clients, as well as architects and designers who have worked with the construction company, will give homeowners a very good idea of the company’s working style. Do they finish on time? Have there been any legal problems? Do they go over budget? Are they easy to work with?
- Face-to-face meeting: Meet with the company’s representatives to discuss your build, budget and time frame. Always ask them about the project manager, because he or she might not be the person at this meeting. How will they keep you updated about progress? Who do you contact if you have questions? What are their processes if you have a problem?
- Check licences and insurances: Once you have selected your builder, you should double check that they are actually a licensed building contractor with the QBCC, and also ask and sight their insurances.
- Ask for a detailed quote: Make sure that you are given a very detailed quote that covers all the work, right up to completion. You don’t want any surprises!
Marshall Renovations is one of the leading construction companies in Brisbane – call us on 07 3342 6675 or shoot us an email to discuss your new build or renovations.